Copy and Downloading Content
Copying content from the website without having to retype the stories yourself.
Here's how to get the Content articles from the website without retyping the stories:
- Go to one of the Content pages (5, 6 or 7) on the website.
- With your cursor highlight the desired text. You can do all the stories on the page or just one of the stories.
- While the text is highlighted, hold down the Ctrl key and press the C key. That will copy the text. (Ctrl + C is the standard shortcut for copying for most programs.)
- Open a new or existing document using your favorite program (Word, WordPerfect, etc.). It can even be a plain .TXT file.
- Put your cursor somewhere on the page and paste the copied text using the Ctrl and V keys. (Ctrl + V is the standard shortcut for pasting for most programs.)
- Repeat for other pages or stories.
NOTE: If you also copied a clip-art image along with the story it illustrates, keep in mind that you copied the GIF version. GIFs are used for display purposes on Web sites and do not print well. If you want the clip-art for printing, you'll want to download it separately using the art file name links just below the story. Those are usually TIFF (.tif) files.
The Content page is set up as a table. Each headline is in its own cell, and the body text for each story is in its own cell. Some programs, such as Publisher, can't handle the formatting of the table very well when you copy and paste it. For an easy way around the problem, see the FAQ: I can't copy and paste text from The Newsletter Newsletter Content webpage into MS Publisher
Downloading content via Zip File
Throughout the website, you'll find Zip files. We use this file format to keep the contents of a particular month's contents together for easier downloading and retrieval of data. You can download these Zip files to your computer to see the contents of an entire issue at one time.
These files include the black-and-white clipart, content material, words of welcome and Kid's page from a particular issue.
Here are the steps to download a zip file:
- After logging in, click on the month you wish to download the ZIP file
- Click on the Zip link to begin the download process
- Choose the location on your computer where you want to save the file (we recommend you save it to your desktop or downloads folder for ease in locating).
- Once the download is complete, find the Zip file on your computer.
- Right click on the Zipped folder and select "Extract files".
NOTE: You will need WinZip installed on your computer. If you do not have Winzip, you can download a free version from www.WinZip.com.
- Confirm your location of the extracted files and select "Extract". WinZip will now extract the files and placed them in a non-zipped folder.
- Once completed, you can insert or import your images into your desktop publishing program.
The newer ZIP files on The NEWSLETTER Newsletter have been created using WinZip version 8.0. According to WinZip's documentation, this version "no longer supports creation of 16 bit extractors." What this means is that if your version of WinZip is an older version, it may not be able to extract the files from our newer ZIP files.
Try downloading the upgrade of WinZip at www.WinZip.com. This should fix the problem.